social_07 social_03

Wild Camping

flickrlogo mail-icon

Mail us on:

WILD CAMPING    |       HIKING         |      RV LIVING        |       OFF GRID LIVING      |        BUSHCRAFT        |        ROCK CLIMBING      |     FORAGING   |   TINY HOUSE  

social_03 social_07
woodlandsedge KATAD AMMINITEKNIVES campor2 we fslogo dr scorp p1smll


Written by Alistair Down of

Pen Y Ghent – One of the Dales 3 Peaks

Distance: 12km


Time: 3 – 4 hours


Difficulty: Moderate – Due to the scramble on one edge of the summit


After watching Julia Bradbury’s show “Britians Best Walks”,  I decided to leave my home just outside of Oxford and head north up the dreaded M6 on a Friday night to the great Yorkshire Dales. My VW camper is great for just jumping in and heading off at a moments notice. You dont need to worry about finding a B&B or hotel, just park up on the side of the road, pull out the bed and get your head down.


On this occasion I stayed in a car park in the village of Horton In Ribblesdale, perfect for the start of our walk. At only £5 for a 24 hour period and clean toilet blocks too, I had struck gold. I don’t think they encourage sleeping in your van but as it was cold January night, I took the gamble that there wouldn’t be any wardens partrolling.


So after a good nights sleep I was ready to hit the trail. A well marked path leaves the main road and heads up onto the moors. I soon arrived at a fork in the path with a sign showing a blue route to the left and a red route to the right. I took the blue route as I wanted to take a slight detour to see Hull Pot. The path is a good solid track between dry stone walls, with a gentle incline to get you in the groove. After a few kilometres, the path turns 90 degrees to the right, here I headed straight on for approx 200 metres to Hull Pot. This is normally a fantastic waterfall cascading down into a collasped cave, on this occasion, the river was dry!!!


A quick cup of coffee and it was back the 200 metres to the now left turn and onwards to the more strenueous climb towards the summit. Walking up into the mist and low cloud base with the sun bursting through in patches made for some great views down the valley. The higher I walked the colder and windier it became. At the summit the wind was howling and bitterly cold. There were small huddles of people dotted along the wall, keeping out of the wind whilst eating there lunch and drinking hot soup or coffee. I joined them, to eat my lunch, but only for 10 minutes, as it was so cold. Time to move on.


To continue reading, please click here...